SpringOUT is Canberra’s only pride festival. Held in November each year, it is a month-long pride festival that celebrates Australia’s most LGBTIQ-friendly city and its LGBTIQ community in all its fabulous diversity.
Our objectives are to:
- provide a vehicle for LGBTIQ individuals and groups to express, affirm and celebrate their pride and highlight the contribution they make to the cultural fabric of the Canberra region;
- promote a broader message of positivity, diversity and acceptance;
- integrate the SpringOUT festival into the wider cultural and social profile for residents of the Canberra region, as well as the broader tourism market;
- reaffirm a sense of community for individuals and groups who may otherwise be marginalised; and
- provide educational, cultural and creative spaces that encourage free expression.
The Canberra SpringOUT Pride Festival started in 1999 with just two volunteers and a pride rally. The 300-strong crowd marched down to Glebe Park, rainbow flags held high, to celebrate Canberra’s LGBTIQ community. It started with the Fairday Frolic, and continued through the rest of the month with concerts, bush dances, a Love Bus tour, film showings and a cocktail party.
Today, SpringOUT is run by an enthusiastic committee. This team has brought a renewed sense of optimism and celebration to the festival. From 1999 to today, SpringOUT has grown, and this year the festival is set to be bigger and better than ever before.